Security

Accessing apps in 6.4.x results in "Error connecting: error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed"

arowsell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

After moving to Splunk 6.4.x, the following error can occur in the UI when navigating to:

Apps —> Browse more apps

Error connecting: error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed

In the splunkd.log file, the following errors also occur:

08-04-2016 03:40:40.509 -0400 ERROR ApplicationUpdater - Error checking for update, URL=https://apps.splunk.com/api/apps:resolve/checkforupgrade: error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed

08-04-2016 05:06:21.332 -0400 ERROR X509Verify - X509 certificate (CN=XXXXXX,DC=XXXXX,DC=local) failed validation; error=19, reason="self signed certificate in certificate chain"
1 Solution

arowsell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The issue occurs when you intercept/decode network packets and then re-encrypt the SSL stream with our own internal CA Root keys. To solve the issue:

1. Find the appsCA.pem in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth on the Splunk search head.
  2. Back this file up before making any changes.
  3. Open the file with a text editor and copy you internal CA Root to the appsCA.pem, for example:
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
SPLUNK CERT HERE
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
CUSTOMER INTERNAL CA ROOT HERE

You must restart Splunk after these changes.

View solution in original post

kiles
Explorer

I found jbarlow's answer to work best for my environment. I can now access https://splunkbase.splunk.com using my own self-signed certs. I did finally have to quit trying to use my squid proxy to do so, though. Guess access to apps does not support https_proxy to HTTPS squid endpoint. I had to open my external firewall to allow SplunkLight out for HTTP/HTTPS which was previously disabled per PCI QSA request.

I only did this on the SplunkLight server (add appsCA.pem to my splunkCA.tds.pci.pem. I did not do the same on my forwarders which use the original splunkCA.tds.pci.crt (in PEM format) and that could be a concern since now they differ. May need to do the same on the forwarders to insure a single version of the truth.

This was related to me replacing all of the splunk certs (except for those dang apps certs) with my own self-signed certs due to the default Splunk CA cert being signed with a weak algorithm (yep - PCI QSA again).

jbarlow_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This can also occur in following scenario...

'server.conf', in stanza [sslConfig] , a custom CA is defined in paramater "sslRootCAPath"

example

[sslConfig]
sslRootCAPath = /opt/certs/myCA.pem

In this case, per the docs, if param “sslRootCAPath” has been set (in stanza ‘sslConfig’) then caCertFile will be ignored.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Serverconf
[applicationsManagement]

caCertFile =
* Full path to a CA (Certificate Authority) certificate(s) PEM format file.
* The must refer to a PEM format file containing one or more root CA
certificates concatenated together.
* Used only if 'sslRootCAPath' is unset.
* Used for validating SSL certificate from https://apps.splunk.com/

e.g this flow..

splunkd ——> splunkbase
<—— sends server cert signed by CA GlobalSign

splunkd verifies the server cert against your custom cert in file defined in sslRootCAPath , which does not contain the CA GlobalSign (this is defined in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/appsCA.pem)

To get round this, concatenate the appsCA.pem contents to your custom CA (as defined in sslRootCAPath in the [sslConfig] stanza)

make a backup of your custom CA first

cp yourCustomCA.pem yourCustomCA.pem.backup
cat $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/appsCA.pem >> yourCustomCA.pem

then restart splunk

arowsell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The issue occurs when you intercept/decode network packets and then re-encrypt the SSL stream with our own internal CA Root keys. To solve the issue:

1. Find the appsCA.pem in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth on the Splunk search head.
  2. Back this file up before making any changes.
  3. Open the file with a text editor and copy you internal CA Root to the appsCA.pem, for example:
SPLUNK CERT HERE
CUSTOMER INTERNAL CA ROOT HERE

You must restart Splunk after these changes.

corey_reynders
Path Finder

I am having this exact same problem but the suggested resolution did not correct it. Any other suggestions?

0 Karma

nclancy_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This also worked where a PaloAlto firewall encrypted data coming into splunk

0 Karma

arowsell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Corey,

The solution is really dependent on your network architecture. You may also have a Root and/or an Intermediate CA. So you may also have to add these as well, for example:

SERVER CERT HERE

INTERMEDIATE CA IF REQUIRED

ROOT CA

If this does not help, you may like to raise a case with Splunk support.

0 Karma

corey_reynders
Path Finder

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried this order (what I had when I posted) :
===OOTB SPLUNK CERTS (x3)===
===MY ROOT===
===MY INTERMEDIATE===
===MY SERVER===

and this order (based on your post, in case the order matters) :

===OOTB SPLUNK CERTS (x3)===
===MY SERVER===
===MY INTERMEDIATE===
===MY ROOT===

So far neither order corrects my issue. I do not have support (yet).

0 Karma

corey_reynders
Path Finder

I think my appsCA.pem got messed up. I copied it from another instance and was able to get this to function without any weird config or root/intermediate changes.

0 Karma

arowsell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Corey,

It is difficult to say without looking at a Splunk diag, your certs and a network trace. I would recommend that you run a network trace (e.g. wireshark) and see where in the SSL handshake it is failing.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...