Reporting

Why Splunkd stops running but the splunkd.pid file remains

MikeBertelsen
Communicator

I have a Daily Splunk report that lets me know when it hasn't heard from a server for a while.

Sometimes when I get to the server I use my restartsplunk script and get one of these:

splunkd 48961 was not running.
Stopping splunk helpers...
[ OK ]
Done.
Stopped helpers.

Removing stale pid file... done.

Further checking shows that no crash file was generated. So what caused Splunk to crash?

For those interested, here is the query I use for the daily report:
| metadata type=hosts | eval age = now() - lastTime | search age > 86400 | sort age d | convert ctime(lastTime) | fields age,host,lastTime

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want to use systemd refer to Splunk systemd unit file in versions 7.2.2 and newer - how do I stop this prompting for the root pas... the settings in the file there should ensure a clean startup/shutdown.

If not try init.d again...(as per woodcock's suggestion)

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are running the hot (mess) new systemd boot-start, the default does a kill -9 which causes all manner of terribleness including stale pid files. Switch back to init.d for starters.

jaime_ramirez
Communicator

Check the splunkd log for any unusual behavior or any WARN/ERROR events.

Also it could be something regarding the ulimits. You could check the following info:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/Troubleshooting/ulimitErrors

0 Karma

MikeBertelsen
Communicator

here is what I found:
07-29-2019 12:17:42.721 -0500 FATAL ProcessRunner - Unexpected EOF from process runner child!
07-29-2019 12:17:42.721 -0500 ERROR ProcessRunner - helper process seems to have died (child killed by signal 15: Terminated)!

The next timestamp is from my restarting Splunk:
08-01-2019 13:12:58.573 -0500 INFO ServerConfig - My GUID is BD8........

0 Karma

jaime_ramirez
Communicator
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...