Reporting

Unnecessary Chinese font in PDF

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am exporting PDFs from a dashboard. When opening the PDF and scrolling through, Acrobat tells me it needs to install the Simplified Chinese fonts and I can't figure out why as there are no Chinese character in the text.

I see that one of the fonts in the PDF properties is STSong-lite font, which a CID font with UniGB-UCS2-H encoding. I wonder if this is the reason.

I can install the fonts and the problem goes away, but these reports need to be sent to many people and they have no relationship with China and might find it odd to have to install these fonts.

Oddly out of 12 reports, half have this problem and the other half not...

Any idea how to debug this case and to stop it from doing this...?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jlaw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Which version of Splunk are you using? Do you have the PDF Report Server App installed, or is this just with the built-in integrated PDF generation?

View solution in original post

jlaw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Which version of Splunk are you using? Do you have the PDF Report Server App installed, or is this just with the built-in integrated PDF generation?

jlaw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Be careful, the app is hard to configure and keep working. (I was not recommending it, just trying to narrow down where the problem was coming from.) And advances in SimpleXML in Splunk 6 give more functionality to the integrated PDF generation. You still need the app if you want to print Flash or advanced XML, but you should probably be weeding those out of your dashboards anyway.

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Shame it requires an enterprise licence, our max data for 12 months is <8MB...

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk 6. It's just the integrated PDF generation from a Dashboard. So, there's an app... Mmm, jolly good - is it the bee's knees? 🙂

I just worked out what Splunk is doing to cause this. I have certain Unicode punctuation characters in my data, in particular U+2018, which causes this. I've added a rex statement that strips these out and it stops doing it.

Thanks for the PDF app info, I'll go explore, the internal is a bit basic...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...