Reporting

Summing multiple matches with rex command

jbrenner
Path Finder

I have a pattern of text that appears in a log statement multiple times.

Here is an example:

RandomStuff|LoginCount=5|RandomStuff|LoginCount=3|More RandomStuff|LoginCount=4|YetMoreRandomStuff

How can I use the rex command to get a sum of all the LoginCount values (which would total 12 in this example)?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| makeresults 
| eval _raw="RandomStuff|LoginCount=5|RandomStuff|LoginCount=3|More RandomStuff|LoginCount=4|YetMoreRandomStuff
RandomStuff|LoginCount=6|RandomStuff|LoginCount=7|More RandomStuff|LoginCount=3|YetMoreRandomStuff"
| multikv noheader=t
| fields _*

| rex max_match=0 "LoginCount=(?<logincount>\d+)"
| streamstats count as row
| eventstats sum(logincount) as logincount by row
| fields - row

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| makeresults 
| eval _raw="RandomStuff|LoginCount=5|RandomStuff|LoginCount=3|More RandomStuff|LoginCount=4|YetMoreRandomStuff
RandomStuff|LoginCount=6|RandomStuff|LoginCount=7|More RandomStuff|LoginCount=3|YetMoreRandomStuff"
| multikv noheader=t
| fields _*

| rex max_match=0 "LoginCount=(?<logincount>\d+)"
| streamstats count as row
| eventstats sum(logincount) as logincount by row
| fields - row

jbrenner
Path Finder

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed!

0 Karma

jbrenner
Path Finder

I forgot to mention that I don't know how many times LoginCount will appear in any particular log statement. The number of instances will vary.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...