Reporting

Scheduled job failure

ITSplunk117
Explorer

I have a few scheduled jobs running from an TA.  Multiple ones have | collect index=summary at the end of the SPL.  For some of them when they run I get 0 results with a warning "no results to summary index".  I reran the job manually and can see the results.  I can see there's a macro error in the job that did not have any results but the other job that ran has very similar SPL and works fine.

When I looked at search.log the one thing that stood out is for the one that ran with results. This was in the log user context: Splunk-system-user

The job that did not return results did not have "user context: Splunk-system-user" my question is what sets the user context and what overrides it (if possible) to see if this is the cause of my problems.

thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The user context is the name of account under which the job runs.  In most cases, it's the name of user running the search, but some scheduled searches can be set to run as the owner.  In the specific case of user context = splunk-system-user, that is the name used when a search has no owner (owned by "nobody").

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

ITSplunk117
Explorer

Thanks, 

It does tho I'm going to have to take a closer look at the reports.  They at least appear to have the same owner nobody and run as Owner.  Also the Read/Write permissions are the same.  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...