Reporting

Making searches that involve the character (*)

cindygibbs_08
Communicator

Hello everyone I hope everyone is having a great day thank you so much for the help that you have provided me with in this forum I have a question it turns out that I do have a field which can take on the values "box_56**"  and "box_56**78_A" but whenever I try to execute a search splunk always tells me that I am using a wild card and this is because the asterisk is within the search and sometimes making the search

| Search field="box-56**" 

Can bring up both values.. I would like a way to properly search for this values without having to suffer a Heart attack.. I have used the "\" character to try to "escape" the "*" but it is not working... From now on I would like to change the value of that field using the case command but everytime I use it I get a bunch of nonsense... Thank you guys so much for your kind help you guys are just one of a kind!

Love Cindy,

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try using regex to keep the events that match the expression

| regex "box_56\*\*"

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try using regex to keep the events that match the expression

| regex "box_56\*\*"

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cindygibbs_08 

There seems no escape for * in Splunk as per this post - https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/literal-in-search/m-p/64040

Try something like this, using regex command -https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.0/SearchReference/Regex#Examples

| makeresults 
| eval name="box-56**" 
| regex name="box-56\*\*"

In your example you have to replace Search command with regex and match with regex style with \.  box_56\*\*78_A

---

An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!

Tags (2)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...