Reporting

How to write a search leveraging tstats, a data model, and timechart?

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

I am looking to convert this regular search:

index=foo action=blocked `macro` src_zone=foo | timechart count span=1d 

over to a search that leverage tstats and the Network Traffic datamodel that shows the count of blocked traffic per day for the past 7 days due to the large volume of network events

| tstats count AS "Count of Blocked Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=foo groupby _time, All_Traffic.src_zone prestats=true

How can I get this search to use timechart?

Thx

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Adding the timechart command should do it.

| tstats count AS "Count of Blocked Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=foo groupby _time span=1d, All_Traffic.src_zone prestats=true
| `drop_dm_object_name("All_Traffic")`
| timechart span=1d count by src_zone

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Adding the timechart command should do it.

| tstats count AS "Count of Blocked Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=foo groupby _time span=1d, All_Traffic.src_zone prestats=true
| timechart span=1d count by src_zone

---

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

@richgalloway 

If I wanted to change this search up so it's looking at total traffic events with an overlay of the avg number of blocks, how would I write that query?

I have the following but not getting any results:

| tstats count AS "Total Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=INTERNET-O groupby _time span=1d, All_Traffic.src_zone, All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic prestats=true 
| timechart span=1d count
| stats avg(count) by Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic

Is the issue that I'm pulling from two different objects in the Network datamodel - All_Traffic and Blocked_Traffic and not referencing the Blocked_Traffic model correctly?

0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Mucking around some more and getting closer as I now have this:

| tstats count AS "Total Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic ) OR (nodename = Blocked_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=INTERNET-O groupby _time span=1d, All_Traffic.src_zone, All_Traffic.action, All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic prestats=true 
| timechart span=1d count by action 
| eval "Block Avg" = round('blocked'*100/('allowed'+'blocked'),2)

But two issues:

1. Timechart now shows bars by action and 'd like to see just the total count of network sessions
  2. The average is basically flatlined as it's at roughly 40% whereas my totals by action are roughly 1.5B
0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

TYVM Rich!

If I needed to add a macro in the search, where would I place that?

Thx again

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It depends on what the macro does.  Start by putting it in the where clause of the tstats command.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...