Reporting

How to get well known ports report?

yanevbt

Hello, I am new to splunk. I am trying to run a report to show what servers our users connect to and on what ports.  the report is going to be reviewed by non IT business unit so it will be nice if the report can have a description to the ports (example: NetBIOS, SQL, LDAP, etc).  Is there a way to do that?  Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

After producing the report (using network traffic logs, perhaps), use a lookup file to map port number to services.  The lookup file (I'll call it ports.csv) might look like this:

port,service
22,ssh
53,DNS
80,HTTP
443,HTTPS

and it would be used something like this:

... | lookup ports.csv port OUTPUT service
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...