Reporting

How to create a report where two values match from two different sources?

arrowecssupport
Communicator

I am pulling data from two different sources. Each source contains data on a computer's serial number. I want to be able to generate a report when a serial number exists in both sources.

So I'm monitoring 2 folders for the following files which get updated every hour:

1. ContactData.csv << This shows the contact data of who owns this server
    Serial=12345, Contact_Name=Dave Smirth, Phone_num=0123456789

2. Software_violation << This shows a list of bad software running.
    SerialNum=12345; Software=Tor,uTorrent

In each source, the serials are in two different fields
1. "Serial Number supported"
2. System_Serial_Number

So I want a combined report output of

Serial=12345
Dave Smith
Running Tor,uTorrent
0 Karma

lvetter
Explorer

You would use a join here:

|inputlookup ContactData.csv | join Serial [ |inputlookup Software_violation | rename SerialNum as Serial] | table Serial, Contact_Name, Phone_num, Software

I assumed your Software_violoation was a lookup. If its not a lookup, replace "|inputlookup Software_violation" with "search sourcetype=Software_violation", or other relevant search.

Good Luck!

Laura.

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this (check the field names, especially in coalesce command)

(index=A source=source1) OR (index=B source=source2) | eval Serial=coalesce('Serial Number supported', System_Serial_Number) | stats values(Contact_Name) as Contact_Name values(Phone_num) as Phone_num values(Software) as Bad_Softwares by Serial
0 Karma

arrowecssupport
Communicator

Thank you for the "stats values" part as that has given a bit part which i was missing; how to show only some data.

But the "eval Serial=coalesce" isn't quite doing what i need. I want to only select values where the serial number exists in both sources.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...