Reporting

How can I set a report to run that includes events from 1 or 3 days prior based on the current day of the week?

mumblingsages
Path Finder

I have a report that I'd like to create but I need to set the earliest clause based on the current day of the week. So for example. On Mondays I need to set earliest to -3d at 07:30:00 (So records from Friday @ 7:30am onward are captured). The rest of the days of the week I would like to set it to -1d at 07:30:00.

I have the logic figured out on how to determine the day of the week, but things go sideways on me when I specify the earliest clause.

0 Karma
1 Solution

cmerriman
Super Champion

I think what you may have to do is set earliest=-3d@d and then add in the logistics to filter out based on the current day.

|eval filter=if(relative_time(now(),"%w")=1,relative_time(now(),"-3d@d+7h+30m"),relative_time(now(),"-1d@d+7h+30m"))|where _time>=filter

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try like this

index=foo sourcetype=bar [| gentimes start=-1 | eval earliest=if(lower(strftime(now(),"%a"))="mon",relative_time(now(),"-3d@d+7h+30m"),relative_time(now(),"-1d@d+7h+30m") | table earliest  ]   | rest of the search
0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

I think what you may have to do is set earliest=-3d@d and then add in the logistics to filter out based on the current day.

|eval filter=if(relative_time(now(),"%w")=1,relative_time(now(),"-3d@d+7h+30m"),relative_time(now(),"-1d@d+7h+30m"))|where _time>=filter

mumblingsages
Path Finder

I think you are close.... I adapted what you wrote to the following....

index="my_index" | eval start=if( (strftime(Now(),"%a") == "Mon"), "-3d@d+7h+30m", "-10d@d+7h+30m") | eval r_time=relative_time(now(), start) | eval sr_time=strftime(r_time,"%m/%d/%Y:%X") | where _time >= r_time | table event_ID, _time, r_time

but now I seem to be getting everything.... Looking at _time and r_time they are of different formats...

_time = 2017-04-25 19:59:00
r_time = 1502022600.000000

Is that why??

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

_time is in epoch, but displays in human-readable. if you were to add |eval time=_time it should display time as epoch, as well.
try changing strftime(now(),"%a"), to relative_time(now(),"%a") in your start eval

0 Karma

mumblingsages
Path Finder

cmerriman... That seems to have done the trick!!

Thank you both!!

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

add this before where condition | eval r_time=strftime(r_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S)

0 Karma

mumblingsages
Path Finder

Very strange. Now I've got nothing.... But the formats are matching..

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

to find current day of the week use like below

| eval DayOfWeek=strftime(_time, "%A")

0 Karma

mumblingsages
Path Finder

Right. I have that part.... More specifically.....

| eval start=if( (strftime(Now(),"%a") == "Mon"), "-3d0", "-1d") | eval r_time=strftime(relative_time(now(), start),"%m/%d/%Y:07:30:00") | where earliest=r_time

However, it's not finding any results even thought I know they exist.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...