#Random
This is a place to discuss all things outside of Splunk, its products, and its use cases.

How do I use erex to create fields?

GuillermoRamos
Engager

How can I erex a line TRUE, FALSE, TRUE,, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE, , FALSE, FALSE  source =" an imported CSV" the multiple true and false on the line have different column names. I am trying to create a label for each true and false following a reference sheet.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are a couple of ways to do that.

You can use rex at search time.

index=foo
| rex "(?<OAM>\w+), (?<disabled>\w+), (?<field3>\w+), (?<field4>\w+), (?<field5>\w+), (?<field6>\w+), (?<field7>\w+), (?<field8>\w+)"
| table OAM, disabled field3 field4 field5 field6 field7 field8

Other way is parse it at index-time using a REGEX in transforms.conf:

[parseflags]
REGEX = (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+)
FORMAT = OAM::$1 disabled::$2 field3::$3 field4::$4 field5::$5 field6::$6 field7::$7 field8::$8

Then invoke that transform in props.conf:

[mysourcetype]
TRANFORM-parse = parseflags
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are a couple of ways to do that.

You can use rex at search time.

index=foo
| rex "(?<OAM>\w+), (?<disabled>\w+), (?<field3>\w+), (?<field4>\w+), (?<field5>\w+), (?<field6>\w+), (?<field7>\w+), (?<field8>\w+)"
| table OAM, disabled field3 field4 field5 field6 field7 field8

Other way is parse it at index-time using a REGEX in transforms.conf:

[parseflags]
REGEX = (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+), (\w+)
FORMAT = OAM::$1 disabled::$2 field3::$3 field4::$4 field5::$5 field6::$6 field7::$7 field8::$8

Then invoke that transform in props.conf:

[mysourcetype]
TRANFORM-parse = parseflags
---

GuillermoRamos
Engager

That worked. Thank you

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Which method did you use?

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
0 Karma

GuillermoRamos
Engager

So, I have multiple false and trues back to back and each one has a different meaning. I am trying to create fields for each one. For example, the first true/false =indicates if OAM is managed on computer, second true/false = is computer disabled. The way the results populate after indexing are literally TRUE, FALSE, TRUE,, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE, , FALSE, FALSE.

I hope that makes sense.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What problem are you trying to solve?  Chances are, erex is not the answer (it almost never is), but we need to know what it is you are trying to do.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...