Other Usage

Is there a query to identify which password requirements are not being met?

monik0277

Hi Everyone, I am trying to see if there is a query I can run that will tell me which of our password requirements a user is not meeting when trying to set their password. 

I believe there is something I can run that will give me this info. Thank you very much in advance for any assistance.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

danspav
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @monik0277,

Like @caiosalonso mentioned, there are multiple sources for credentials.

If you are using Splunk authentication (local Splunk accounts) then the password complexity rules are kept in authentication.conf.

This REST call will show you the password rules:

| rest splunk_server=local /services/configs/conf-authentication/splunk_auth
| table minPasswordDigit, minPasswordLength, minPasswordLowercase, minPasswordSpecial, minPasswordUppercase, passwordHistoryCount, enablePasswordHistory, forceWeakPasswordChange, expirePasswordDays

You can also see the rules through the UI under Settings -> Users and Authentication -> Password Management

Cheers,
Daniel

caiosalonso
Path Finder

Hi,

For which authenticator provider do you want to run this kind of query?

Do you already have audit logs available in Splunk showing when a user sets the password in your authentication provider? If that is the case, are you able to provide a sample?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...