Other Usage

How to prepare a list of hosts that have not reported in for few days - Please check my SPL listed for errors

SamHTexas
Builder

I have used the following but not producing any results. Please check it for errors.

... | eval etime=strptime(time, "%d/%m/%Y"), sevenDaysAgo=relative_time(now(), "-7d")| where etime < sevenDaysAgo

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

with great pleasure!

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: please accept the answer for the other people of Community and Karma Points are appreciated 😉

View solution in original post

SamHTexas
Builder

Please show me how to look up hosts that have not reported since yesterday for example.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

you could use my search adding the outputlookup command at the end (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/SearchReference/Outputlookup).

But remember that you have to create the Lookup and the Lookup Definition before to run the outputlookup command.

But my hint is diferent: run a search to list all the servers in your infrastructure and put them in a lookup, so you can use this list to check your infrastructure.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

One more question please. So I have to have a look up table either way? My problem is that we have a 100 thousand servers !! Is there a SPL query that does not require an outlook table? Thx again

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

in this case you can use my second answer that doesn't requires a lookup.

| metasearch index=_internal earliest=-30d@d latest=now
| eval check=if(now()-_time<604800,"last Week","Previous weeks")
| stats dc(check) AS dc_check values(check) AS check BY host
| where dc_check=1 AND check="Previous weeks"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

SamHTexas
Builder

Happy 2022 Bro. Just noticed that I did not give you credit for your help then. So I just did. Thank u for all your help in 2021. Stay safe.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

I check the following in our system

It checks & checks for a long time for events. What I need to do is to get ONLY the names of hosts that HAVE NOT reported in. Please advise & thank you once again

Tags (1)
0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Let me test it out. Bro, I owe you a nice dinner in Rome when I visit there next time. I live in TX but my sister lives in Ticcino in Switzerland. Have a nice day.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

with great pleasure!

Giuseppe

P.S.: please accept the answer for the other people of Community and Karma Points are appreciated 😉

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

if you have a list of the hosts in your perimeter in a lookup (e.g. perimeter.csv with a column called host) to check you could use:

| metasearch index=_internal
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(cout) AS total BY host
| where total=0

if instead you want to check the hosts of (e.g.) last month and find the ones that didn't send logs in the last seven days, you could run something like this:

Ciao.

Giuseppe

SamHTexas
Builder

Thank u very much again. I don't have a lookup table for this purpose. But non of these 2 searches produce any results for me at all. Any idea please? 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

the first part of the first search gives you a list of all hosts that reported that you can insert in a lookup using output lookup, in few words you have to:

• create a lookup (called e.g. perimeter with a column called host);
  • create a Lookup definition (called e.g. perimeter);
  • | run the following search:
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| outputlookup perimeter

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Gracia. Would this tell me the list of hosts ONLY that have not reported in?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

with this search you have all the hosts in a lookup:

| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| outputlookup perimeter

if you want the ones that doesn't reported in the last week:

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

as I said if you use the "where" condition in the searches of my previous answer you have only the ones that reported before but not in the last week. 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Thank u for being patient with my learning. Do both of your conditions require a lookup file or only the fist one does? Thanks again

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

don't worry, no problem!

Anyway, only the first requires a perimeter lookup.

The first condition has the problem that requires the perimeter lookup to manually maintain, but gives you more control on your perimeter.

The second is easiest to maintain (doesn't requires any intervene), but it has the problem that if you have hosts that didn't send logs in the last month you loose them, at the same time if you dismiss an host, you continue to have alerts for a month.

For these reasons I prefer and usually use the first solution, you eventually could use the first maintaing it using the second.

Giuseppe

P.S.: if this answer solves your need, please accept it for the other people of Community and Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...