Monitoring Splunk

iops Performance Data

rtanninen

Hi everyone, I am brand new to Splunk and have a question. I have a powershell script that grabs the windows counters to get iops (Input Output per second) and was wondering how I would search using splunk to find the iops for the cpu, ram, hdd?? What would be the best way to go about it? Thank you so much for the help.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Actually, that makes things muddier 😞 - why would you not install a forwarder on the other computer and have it deliver data to your indexer automatically? Have you looked at the stock Splunk for Windows app? http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/22315/splunk-app-for-windows

0 Karma

rtanninen

Let me explain, I want to run the script on another computer, let it run for an hour and then have it E-mail itself to me, then I put that data into splunk. What I am asking is how do I search for or terms to use to get a proper iops read? Hope that is a little clearer.

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am a little confused by your question, but I'll take a stab at it. The term "IOPS" really only has context with respect to input/output devices (that's what the "I" stands for).

That aside, there's more than one way to get this type of data into Splunk. Splunk can (natively) poll Windows counters, or it can pull similar data using WMI queries. This is how the Splunk for Windows apps work, and they already have collection mechanisms and dashboards for this type of data.

Finally, any script you have that can produce textual output can be run as a scripted input into Splunk, making your existing powershell script usable.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...