Monitoring Splunk

Why is _audit index not capturing all hosts?

jessieb_83
Path Finder

With little to no Splunk experience, I inherited a 7.2.3 windows deployment (We're closed network and I'm not cleared to upgrade yet)

I've been finding little things here and there. One of the bigger ones being I'm ONLY getting _Audit logs from the Splunk servers; I'm not getting any audit input from any work stations, or other production servers. I've been dredging the boards for 3 days now and haven't found anything that seems along this line.

I've checked the %Splunk\var\log\audit.log on several and the host's audit logs are getting input, but they're not getting ingested.

I've gone through the deployment_app input.conf and output.conf files and don't see any glaring indications.

So, I'm asking for ideas on other things to check.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Hi you would need to forward audit logs from splunk UF to splunk indexers.

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/Does-Splunk-Universal-Forwarder-forward-audit-events...

0 Karma

jessieb_83
Path Finder

Thanks for the reply Mayurr!

I thought the same thing. I did find an app  being pushed to all the UF's [and verified it's getting to the workstations] to override default with the following entry from %splunkHome\etc\apps\Splunk_UF\default\outputs.conf:

[tcpout]
forwardedindex.0.whitelist = .*
forwardedindex.1.blacklist = .*
forwardedindex.2.whitelist = (_audit | _introspection | _internal | _telemetry)
forwardedindex.fileter.disable = false

It seems like the 0.whitelist entry is unnecessary but I wonder if that is actually conflicting with gathering audit info.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...