Mem:           94G        93G       1.3G        46G       252M        49G
-/+ buffers/cache:        43G        51G
Swap:          57G        53G       4.2G

The swap calcultaions by splunk process:

[splunk@server7 ~]$ grep --color VmSwap /proc/100427/status
VmSwap:     4180 kB
[splunk@server7 ~]$ grep --color VmSwap /proc/100423/status
VmSwap: 37438788 kB

Anyone have any ideas why its consuming so much swap?
This doesn't seem normal

Thanks for the thoughts!

0 Karma
1 Solution

tkw03
Communicator

Went ahead and uploaded a case to support. Will close this. Will update once support gives an answer.
Thanks everyone

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tkw03
Communicator

Went ahead and uploaded a case to support. Will close this. Will update once support gives an answer.
Thanks everyone

0 Karma

tkw03
Communicator

Looks like it was some sort of cache issue. Rolled the Splunk service and it released the swap space.
Thanks!

0 Karma

pruthvikrishnap
Contributor

This is too high, i would recommend you to raise a support request to check why is it consuming 37GB of space.
this link give you some understanding https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/Troubleshooting/Troubleshootmemoryusage

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

One thread about such cases - Why does an AIX 6.5.2 forwarder have high swap/memory and cpu consumption?

All experts say -

-- High numbers of monitored files can cause such behavior .

0 Karma

tkw03
Communicator

Is there a way, other than using the localhost:8089 endpoint as descibed in the link you attached, to find the number of monitored files? The 8089 endpoint on the UF is disabled.
Like I said CPU isnt spiking

0 Karma

BainM
Communicator

What is it doing? How many apps are installed on it? What does the log tail show? Any errors? Is it chewing up CPU?

0 Karma

tkw03
Communicator

The biggest thing there is the Nix app. other than that not many apps. Splunkd is using on average 30% of a single core. So not something I see as an issue. Tailing the splunkd log only shows connections to indexers. NO errors.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...