Monitoring Splunk

Where can I disable kvstore?

mikefg
Communicator

Running 9.0.x now, and I'm getting messages about kvstore issues on indexers, etc. I understand I can disable kvstore on some systems, but not all.

Where do I need it upgraded to wiredTiger and where can I disable it?

Search heads - enabled and upgraded to wiredTiger
Enterprise security search head - enabled and upgraded to wiredTiger
Cluster master - mmapv1
Indexers - mmapv1
Deployment server - mmapv1
Heavy forwarders - enabled and upgraded to wiredTiger

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would enable KVStore on search heads and disable it everywhere else.  HFs are not search heads and don't need KVStore unless you have an app that specifically calls for it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mikefg 

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mikefg ,

as @richgalloway said, it's a best practice to disable KV-Store in all Splunk servers except Search Heads to use the resources for other purposes,

even if, there are some Add-Ons, that must be installed on HFs or IDXs, that disabling KV-Store will give you error messages because they use KV-Store .

Anyway, you can disable KV-Store adding to server.conf the following stanza:

[kvstore]
disabled = true

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I don’t remember any other commonly used TA on HFs than the newest DB Connect which are requiring kvstore. Unfortunately that is not clearly said on documentation if I recall right? So without DBX, you should disable kvstore on HF too.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

mikefg
Communicator

Maybe not a common TA or app, but Splunk App for Stream uses kvstore. Found this out recently doing some troubleshooting. So on stream servers make sure in server.conf to set

[kvstore]
disabled = false

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would enable KVStore on search heads and disable it everywhere else.  HFs are not search heads and don't need KVStore unless you have an app that specifically calls for it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

mikefg
Communicator

Found another app that needs kvstore, but this one is a vendor TA. kvstore was not referenced in any documentation and I only found out after I stopped getting data. Fixed now, just keep an eye out for missing data after disabling kvstore on a HF.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...