Monitoring Splunk

What is the difference between RollOverSummary and Usage types of in license_usage.log?

strive
Influencer

Hi,

I get different results when I run the following searches:

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type="RolloverSummary" earliest=-1d@d   latest=-0d@d | bin _time span=1d  | stats sum(b) AS volumeB by _time

gives me 50 GB (of course in bytes though).

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log* type=Usage earliest=-1d@d latest=-0d@d | eval s=if(s=="","unknown",s) | eval h=if(h=="","unknown",h) | bucket _time span=1d | stats sum(b) AS volume_b

gives me 90 GB (of course in bytes though)

Where did the remaining 40 GB data go?

Some points that may help the Splunk users for answering:
1. I restarted Splunk on universal forwarders. After that for next 20 min period, the per_index_thruput in metrics.log shows spikes.
2. When I run the searches on my raw index, for the period when there are spikes in per_index_thruput, I do not see any duplicate log events.
So where did the log events go?

My daily usage is 50GB only, why does the type=Usage gives me 90GB

Thanks,
Strive

0 Karma

pharish1511
Engager

Yes, @strive can you please tell me why you have used license_usage.log and license_usage.log* , I know it does make a difference but can you please explain why you used it differently specifically in this case ? 

Also can someone please tell the difference between type=RolloverSummary and type=Usage along with addressing @strive 's initial query. 

Thank you so much.

0 Karma

rvany
Communicator

Some older question but the "which type counts what" topic is still current. Try the following two commands as examples:

type=Usage - data from the day before yesterday

index=_internal source=/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/license_usage.log type=Usage earliest=-2d@d latest=-1d@d
| stats sum(b)

type=RolloverSummary - data from yesterday, which is the aggregated data of the day before yesterday

index=_internal source=/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/license_usage.log type=RolloverSummary earliest=-1d@d latest=@d
| stats sum(b)

The result is exactly the same - at least on my testsystem. The license usage of one day is aggregated at midnight and added to the _internal index. Unfortunately I don't know the technical details and I have no documentation link.

You can match the data of both types like the following:

type=Usage     type=RolloverSummary
===================================
pool           pool   (the license pool)
i              slave  (the GUID of the indexer as defined in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg)
b              b      (the byte count - summed up for the previous day the RolloverSummary-type)

Addionally type=Usage has some more columns to investigate or differentiate:

h     the host sending the data (e.g. a UF)
s     the source of the data (e.g. /var/log/messages or XmlWinEventLog:Application)
st    the sourcetype of the data (e.g. syslog or XmlWinEventLog)
idx   the index where the data is ingested
0 Karma

bohanlon_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Your first query references; "source=license_usage.log"
Your second uses; "source=*license_usage.log
"

Was this intentional? Did you mean to search;
1=license_usage.log only
2=license_usage.log, license_usage.log.1 and license_usage.log.2, etc
3=Something else.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...