Monitoring Splunk

URL Monitoring using Webmon

binuj
Explorer

I am trying splunk and wanted to see the URL monitoring using Webmon. I have installed Webmon and added the following into urls.conf file. I am using IE 8.0

[Google]
url =
indexResults = false
timeout = 30
userAgent = MSIE 8.0
indexMD5 = false
sleep = 300

I would like to know if there is any way to get the site availability (availability status) from Webmon.

LukeMurphey
Champion

I'm not sure about how to do this in WebMon but you might want to try the newer app Website Monitoring. It uses modular inputs to determine site availability and is very easy to setup.

0 Karma

binuj
Explorer

When i am connecting from the server it requires a windows authentication which inturn is allowed to connect to the internet

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

@binuj: I don't support proxy authentication yet. By proxy authentication, do you mean SOCKS?

0 Karma

binuj
Explorer

After installing the application from the manager i was able to install. I was thinking only .spl files could be installed from the manager and was not aware that .gz files could be installed. Thanks for your comments. I would like to know if this app will work where you need to have proxy authentication

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

@binuj: I tried dragging and dropping the app to a Windows 2008 install and it still worked for me. I recommend installing the app using the Splunk manager. That should work since this is the recommended method for installing apps. You can then copy over the local directory if you have local configs that you want to include from a previous install.

LukeMurphey
Champion

@binuj: I suspect that the app needs to be installed through the Splunk manager (either by providing the package or by navigating to the app through the Splunk-base list in the manager). This is the way I did it and it worked. I'm going to try dragging the app in manually on my Windows 2008 instance to see if reproduces the problem.

binuj
Explorer

I have installed Splunk 5.03. It was installed by running the splunk-5.0.3-163460-x64-release.msi installation file. For the application i copied the website_monitoring folder under the E:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps folder and restarted the splunk from the manager

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

@binuj: I installed the app on a Windows 2008 R2 host with Splunk 5.0.3 and it worked for me. Could you let me know what version of Splunk you are using? Any info you can give me about how you installed the app and/or Splunk would be helpful too.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

I'm trying to get a 2008 R2 box to test this on. I'll get back to when I can repro this. It sounds like a problem in Splunk but I may be able to circumvent it. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully, I have a 2008 R2 box tomorrow.

0 Karma

binuj
Explorer

My findings are that when i installed the 32 bit Splunk version on my windows 7 and installed the Website_monitoring it created the folder web_ping in

C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\lib\splunk\modinputs

But when i installed the Website_monitoring on a 64 bit Windows 2008 R2 Server it did not create the folder. and hence the error in my previous comment is being shown.

And do to this i am not able to add any site for monitoring.

0 Karma

binuj
Explorer

As mentioned above i tried to install it on a Windows 2008 R2 server. I installed a 64 bit version of splunk.

When i go to the Manager and under the Data Inputs i cannot see the Website Monitoring listed.

I also went to Apps -- Website Monitoring. Here it mentions "Use Splunk Manager to make a new input". When i click the link "Splunk Manager" it gives me an error page mentioning the following

"Splunk cannot find "data/inputs/web_ping"

0 Karma

binuj
Explorer

I had checked the new version of the application and can see the availability data. It would have been better if the availability was shown a a graph similar to the response time. This could give a graph on average availbility per month/day/hour

0 Karma

binuj
Explorer

I am trying the Website_monitoring app on a 64-bit Windows 2008 Enterprise edition server. I amnaged to install the app but when i try to add a new URL from under Data Inputs the Website Availabilty check is not available and hence i cannot add any websites to be monitored.

Please confirm if the app works on a 64-bit version and any help in resolving this issue is appreciated

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

I added the availability calculation to the status history dashboard (under the response time history panel). The new version of the app is 0.7. It may take some time for Splunk-base to show it though.

0 Karma

binuj
Explorer

Thank you for your support. Waiting for the new release.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

@binuj: I think that app has all of the data to provide what you are looking for, it just doesn't calculate availability yet. Let me work something up and put up a new release.

0 Karma

binuj
Explorer

Thanks for the response.
I have installed the Web Monitoring application but i could not get the Web Site availability details. It only gives the response time details and the graph but does not give any information on availability.

The requirement is
1. It check the web site based on the interval configured (for example 5 min)
2. During an hour if all the checks (60/5=12 times the site is up then it should give an availability of 100% during that hour.
3. If during the hour for 6 polls the site was not available then it should give availabilty of 50%

I am looking for something like this

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...