Monitoring Splunk

Track highest value of distinct count over time.

peiffer
Path Finder

I would like to summarize the count of distinct iMAC addresses seen per hour, chart and also insert a column of the maximum value of the distinct count over a period of time in order to analyze a lease pool. I am using chart to summarize by hour and eventstats to track maximums over a given day.

index=network_access "DHCP*"
| lookup dnslookup clientip as relay OUTPUT clienthost as relay_agent
| chart limit=0 dc(mac) as distinct_mac over relay_agent by date_hour
| eventstats max(distinct_mac) as max_mac by date_mday
| table relay_agent max_mac 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

My new field from max() doesn't show up, and the field max_mac doesn't appear to exist. Is there a better way to do this compounding?

Tim

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Replace your eventstats line with this:

| eval max_mac=0 | foreach * [eval max_mac=max(max_mac, tonumber($<<FIELD>>$))]

Your eventstats command cannot work because you dropped the date_month field when you ran the chart command.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Replace your eventstats line with this:

| eval max_mac=0 | foreach * [eval max_mac=max(max_mac, tonumber($<<FIELD>>$))]

Your eventstats command cannot work because you dropped the date_month field when you ran the chart command.

0 Karma

peiffer
Path Finder

Brute force, but simple.. I like the method. It reminds me of what I did in other programming languages.

Tim

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

↓It is not displayed because date_mday does not exist.

Is the extraction period one day?

If only for one day

index=network_access "DHCP*"
 | lookup dnslookup clientip as relay OUTPUT clienthost as relay_agent
 | addtotals
 | eventstats max(Total) as max_mac
 | table relay_agent max_mac 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
0 Karma

peiffer
Path Finder

Yes, the extraction period is one day. Chart only allows one criterion or 'by' value.

The requirement is to provide the highest value of distinct_mac for a given relay agent.

I think that the method you offer is the total over all of the relay agents per chart time period ( 1 hour ). Using your method, the max_mac is identical over all of the relay_agents. I think I might be confused

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...