Monitoring Splunk

Splunk 6 splunkd messages in search

ctripod
Explorer

Hi I've just deployed Splunk 6 via the Chef cookbook on-line and I'm noticing some differences from Splunk 5. There are a LOT of "sourcetype=splunkd" messages in my general searches in a custom index I created (index=staging). Also, Splunk 6 is not allowing me to just search a sourcetype I have to first put in the index. My query "sourcetype=access_custom" is returning 0 results, but "index=staging sourcetype=access_custom" works.

My questions is, how to change this behaviors and is this something new and expected in Splunk 6 or is the configuration incorrect (maybe Chef cookbook)? I've set up many Splunk 5 architectures with lots of searches and dashboards etc. and have never seen either of these two.

Thxs

Tags (3)
0 Karma

ShaneNewman
Motivator

In order to make your searches work without using a specific index you will have to change your permissions for the role you are assigned to. Just add all non internal indexes to the list of indexes searched by default.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

New This Month - Observability Updates Give Extended Visibility and Improve User ...

This month is a collection of special news! From Magic Quadrant updates to AppDynamics integrations to ...

Intro to Splunk Synthetic Monitoring

In our last post, we mentioned that the 3 key pieces of observability – metrics, logs, and traces – provide ...