Monitoring Splunk

Settings to improve Splunk performance on high-spec boxes?

Jason
Motivator

Are there any settings that can be set to help Splunk make better use of a high-end box? (I'm currently working with 16x2.4G core, 64GB RAM box.) I was asked if we can "push more things to memory."

Tags (1)
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is there a specific aspect of performance you want to improve? On a Linux OS, you can (with some trouble to deconflict port numbers, serverName and default host names in server.conf and web.conf) run multiple instances of Splunk on the same box. I would start with two instances, both of them indexing, and one of them distributing search to the other.

More physical memory in general will be used by the OS as a disk cache automatically, but sometimes with the amounts of data being handled by Splunk, this isn't terribly effective.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is there a specific aspect of performance you want to improve? On a Linux OS, you can (with some trouble to deconflict port numbers, serverName and default host names in server.conf and web.conf) run multiple instances of Splunk on the same box. I would start with two instances, both of them indexing, and one of them distributing search to the other.

More physical memory in general will be used by the OS as a disk cache automatically, but sometimes with the amounts of data being handled by Splunk, this isn't terribly effective.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Indexing and search should already using memory as disk cache via the OS/filesystem. Mostly Splunk is not memory-intensive, so extra memory is mostly useful as disk cache. A Ram disk in this case would not be any better.

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

Not really, just in general. We ended up going with two instances on each box for HA purposes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...