Monitoring Splunk

SNMP polling with Splunk

jay_chow
Engager

I am exploring using SPLUNK to do SNMP polling to my cisco router and switches. I checked SPLUNK documentation and found out that its only support SNMP traps. I am searching SPLUNK-Answer for some recommendation, but seems like there are no direct answers or working example which i can use.

1) Do you have any ideas if SNMP poll/walk will be supported in future, since WMI is supported for windows host?

2) Do you have any sample working example for running net-snmp poll for any cisco router and switches for their interface speed/ingress/egress bandwidth?

Thanks millions to all.

a_salikov
Path Finder

Hello, everyone,

Please, can you help me. I installed SNMP Modular Input and configured SNMP polling to server. But data don't receive to Splunk. Also I can't find snmp_ta sourcetype in list. Can you say what I may solve this problem?
alt textThank you!

0 Karma

jadengoho
Builder

Hi jay_chow , so you solve this problema , if yes can you tell us how or what is the process you do ?

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

ssattler
Path Finder

yea, docs are light and so far not working for me...

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

SNMP polling is available to Splunk via external scripts. This question and answer covers some of it: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/38219/snmpget-with-splunk

Brian_Osburn
Builder

I do have a Python script that I've written to do SNMP queries against a Netapp Filer as part of an app I'm hoping to release in the near future..if you want, I can get you a copy of it - it uses net-snmp, and would require a bit of modification to query cisco's.

Brian

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...