Monitoring Splunk

Reload database.conf without restarting Splunk.

dfronck
Communicator

We're monitoring a lot of databases and we have to change passwords frequently.
We have a password manager that changes an account's DB password and then calls a python script with the account name and the new password. Our python script uses a DBX python script to encrypt the password and then our script replaces the old encrypted password with the new one but Splunk does not see the change until we restart Splunk.

I know that I can reload input.conf by running

splunk _internal call /services/data/inputs/monitor/_reload -auth admin:$ADMINPWD

but this doesn't seem to reload "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/local/database.conf"

Is there a command that will reload database.conf?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

dfronck
Communicator
splunk _internal call /services/apps/local/dbx/_reload -auth admin:$ADMINPWD

Restarts the DBX app. Restarting the app also encrypts plaintext passwords in database.conf so we're updating our script to just replace the old encrypted password with the new plaintext password. Much simpler.

View solution in original post

dfronck
Communicator
splunk _internal call /services/apps/local/dbx/_reload -auth admin:$ADMINPWD

Restarts the DBX app. Restarting the app also encrypts plaintext passwords in database.conf so we're updating our script to just replace the old encrypted password with the new plaintext password. Much simpler.

changux
Builder

If some like this:

http(s)://SPLUNKHOST:8000/debug/refresh

Doesn't work, the only way is restarting.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...