Monitoring Splunk

Looking for a change in the index _indextime rate

mconnarty1
Explorer

I want to identify where the rate that an index's _indextime changes by a specific amount, with a tolerence that increases the faster the rate.

For example:

1. Index A - It indexes once every 6 hours and populates the past 6 hours of events. In this circumstance I would want to know if it hasn't indexed for 8 hours or more. The tolerance is therefore relatively small (around 30% extra).

2. Index B - It indexes every second, in this circumstance I may forgive it not indexing for a few seconds, but I'd definitely want to know if it hasn't indexed in 10 minutes. The tolerence is therefore relatively large. 

I don't think _time is right to use, as that would retrospectively backfill the indexes and I'm thinking it'd give false results. 

I feel that either the _internal index or tstats has the answer, but I've not yet come close.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mconnarty1
Explorer

For anyone else - the below search eventually worked the way I wanted although perhaps there is a more efficient way to do the same thing!

| tstats max(_indextime) as indextime WHERE earliest=-7d latest=now() index=* BY sourcetype index _time span=1h 
    ```Look back over a 7 day window, and get the typical number of hours between indextimes, as well as the number of hours seen```
| sort 0 + index sourcetype indextime
| streamstats window=2 range(indextime) as range_indextime by sourcetype index 
| eval range_indextime=range_indextime/60/60 
| stats max(indextime) as last_indextime dc(indextime) as hour_count_over_5_days avg(range_indextime) as range_based_spacing by sourcetype index
| eval now=now() 
| eval average_hour_spacing=120/hour_count_over_5_days
| eval hours_since_last_seen=if(isnotnull(hours_since_last_seen),hours_since_last_seen,abs((now-last_indextime)/60/60))
```Compare the time since we last saw indexes, and determine if it is likely late or not.```
| eval is_late=case(((range_based_spacing<=1 AND hours_since_last_seen>=1.5 AND average_hour_spacing<=1) OR (range_based_spacing<=6 AND hours_since_last_seen>=8 AND average_hour_spacing<=6) OR (range_based_spacing<=12 AND hours_since_last_seen>=15 AND average_hour_spacing<=12) OR (range_based_spacing<=24 AND hours_since_last_seen>=36) OR isnull(last_indextime)) AND hour_count_over_5_days>1,"yes",(hours_since_last_seen>24 AND hour_count_over_5_days<=1),"maybe",1=1,"no") 
| eval last_indextime=strftime(last_indextime,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M")
| fields - now

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mconnarty1
Explorer

For anyone else - the below search eventually worked the way I wanted although perhaps there is a more efficient way to do the same thing!

| tstats max(_indextime) as indextime WHERE earliest=-7d latest=now() index=* BY sourcetype index _time span=1h 
    ```Look back over a 7 day window, and get the typical number of hours between indextimes, as well as the number of hours seen```
| sort 0 + index sourcetype indextime
| streamstats window=2 range(indextime) as range_indextime by sourcetype index 
| eval range_indextime=range_indextime/60/60 
| stats max(indextime) as last_indextime dc(indextime) as hour_count_over_5_days avg(range_indextime) as range_based_spacing by sourcetype index
| eval now=now() 
| eval average_hour_spacing=120/hour_count_over_5_days
| eval hours_since_last_seen=if(isnotnull(hours_since_last_seen),hours_since_last_seen,abs((now-last_indextime)/60/60))
```Compare the time since we last saw indexes, and determine if it is likely late or not.```
| eval is_late=case(((range_based_spacing<=1 AND hours_since_last_seen>=1.5 AND average_hour_spacing<=1) OR (range_based_spacing<=6 AND hours_since_last_seen>=8 AND average_hour_spacing<=6) OR (range_based_spacing<=12 AND hours_since_last_seen>=15 AND average_hour_spacing<=12) OR (range_based_spacing<=24 AND hours_since_last_seen>=36) OR isnull(last_indextime)) AND hour_count_over_5_days>1,"yes",(hours_since_last_seen>24 AND hour_count_over_5_days<=1),"maybe",1=1,"no") 
| eval last_indextime=strftime(last_indextime,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M")
| fields - now
0 Karma

mconnarty1
Explorer

This is what I have so far - but it seems way too complex! It does a baseline inner search to work out the average rate on the -48h -> -24h, and then joins that to the same search but -24h to now.

| tstats count WHERE earliest=-24h latest=now() index=* BY index sourcetype _indextime 
| top limit=5 _indextime by index sourcetype 
| streamstats range(_indextime) as range_indextime by sourcetype index 
| stats avg(range_indextime) as observed_avg_range_indextime by index sourcetype 
| join type=inner index sourcetype 
    [| tstats count WHERE earliest=-48h latest=-24h index=* BY index sourcetype _indextime 
    | top limit=5 _indextime by index sourcetype 
    | streamstats range(_indextime) as range_indextime by sourcetype index 
    | stats avg(range_indextime) as avg_range_indextime by index sourcetype]

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can do your calculations based on _indextime but still you have to select your data with _time. There is no other way with Splunk since _time is the primary "ordering field".

So you can do something like

index=whatever earliest=-8h
| stats max(_indextime)

to find out when the latest indexed event was indexed. You just need to get the initial timerange with a sufficient margin.

If I remember correctly, _indextime can be used with tstats as well (just not as a field with which you can bin with a given span).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...