Monitoring Splunk

How to set SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false as default when using monitor to upload data?

yunieyuna

Hi, I need to upload a bunch of logs into Splunk by using monitor directory function.
But the data will be merged together if the "SHOULD_LINEMERGE" set to "true". I already known how to set it when uploading one file, but not using "monitor.

Can any one please help me?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Do not use the GUI for onboarding new data. Use the CLI and create an app with the settings that you need in the default folder.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi,

In this case create new unique sourcetype and assign it to monitor stanza and on Indexer/Heavy Forwarder implement below config.

props.conf

[yourSourcetype]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
0 Karma

yunieyuna

Hello Harsmarvania57,

Thank you so much for your answer!

Actually, I ran into another problem when I tried to create a new sourcetype.
I set SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false under the Advanced tab. However, every time I clicked Save button, the setting will automatically changed to "true". And the same situation happens again and again.

I added two screenshots as references.

Goal: ![alt text][https://ibb.co/0n5ngG3]
However: ![alt text][https://ibb.co/b1h5zjM]

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

As @woodcock suggested, it will be good to use CLI instead of GUI. Most of the work I do on CLI instead of GUI.

0 Karma

pir8radio
Path Finder

Then please include instructions how to do that in windows splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...