Monitoring Splunk

How do you run btool check against all apps in /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps?

crodri210
Explorer

I want to run btool check against all the apps in /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps. Is this possible?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can actually use btool with the --dir option to run it against apps in different locations

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/Troubleshooting/CommandlinetoolsforusewithSupport...

View solution in original post

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can actually use btool with the --dir option to run it against apps in different locations

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/Troubleshooting/CommandlinetoolsforusewithSupport...

crodri210
Explorer

I tried the following and did not see any results.

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool check --dir=/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps

Is this syntax correct?

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK this is a bit dumb (and something I had forgotten), but btool --dir needs to be specified to the directory beneath "apps" folder and the folder needs to be called apps.

Here is a simple way to do it (uses a symbolic link):

cd /opt/splunk/etc/
mkdir deployment-apps-for-btool
cd deployment-apps-for-btool
ln -s /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps apps
/opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool  check --dir=/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps-for-btool/

crodri210
Explorer

Apparently you have to create another symbolic link for /opt/splunk/etc/system or else it won't work. So I did the following:

cd /opt/splunk/etc/
 mkdir deployment-apps-for-btool
 cd deployment-apps-for-btool
 ln -s /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps apps
 ln -s /opt/splunk/etc/system system
 /opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool  check --dir=/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps-for-btool/

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Not really - @chrisyoungerjds solution works exactly as prescribed. I tried it...

0 Karma

crodri210
Explorer

I'm running Splunk 7.2.1. It won't work without the system link. I tried it both ways...
# ls
apps deployment-apps system
# rm -f system
# /opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool check --dir=/tmp/staging
# /opt/splunk/bin/splunk -version
Splunk 7.2.1 (build be11b2c46e23)

Once I create a symbolic link to /opt/splunk/etc/system, it works again.

0 Karma

emikulic
Explorer

This is a poor workaround and results in errors in the btool.log for one.  This needs a better supported solution for checking deployment apps before they are pushed out (or after).

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool check --dir=/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps-symlink --debug | grep Splunk_TA_windows

Even with or without the symlink to 'system' under this new deployment-apps-symlink, there are btool errors about spec files either not being present, or being in the incorrect place as per.

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hmm good to know. Thanks for sharing crodri210

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Dead gorgeous @chrisyoungerjds - I ended up writing a python script that combined the serverclass data with the deployment apps to achieve a similar output for the migration we did recently.

Something equivalent to your - /opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool inputs list --dir=/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps-for-btool/

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...