Monitoring Splunk

How can I re-index license-usage.log?

tkwaller_2
Communicator

Hello

Someone prior to me had set the license master to forward logs to the wrong hosts so when I fixed it I have no historical data for license usage.
Whats the best way to fix this?

Thanks for the assistance!

0 Karma
1 Solution

CarsonZa
Contributor

one of the following is what i use

• modify the first line of the files to reindex, by default splunk checks the first 256 chars of a file to differentiate them. If you had a simple comment on the first line it will reindex it

• change the crcSalt, create a new input for a new folder, add all the correct sourcetypes, etc... using a static string that will force a one time reindexing. crcSalt= REINDEXMEPLEASE

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/72562/how-to-reindex-data-from-a-forwarder.html

View solution in original post

CarsonZa
Contributor

one of the following is what i use

• modify the first line of the files to reindex, by default splunk checks the first 256 chars of a file to differentiate them. If you had a simple comment on the first line it will reindex it

• change the crcSalt, create a new input for a new folder, add all the correct sourcetypes, etc... using a static string that will force a one time reindexing. crcSalt= REINDEXMEPLEASE

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/72562/how-to-reindex-data-from-a-forwarder.html

tkwaller_2
Communicator

My only concern was with the data that was already there but it backfilled/reindexed just fine

Thanks again

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...