Monitoring Splunk

Help with monitoring log sources- Is there an app or query that visualizes log sources not sending to SIEM within 24hr?

blasmoreno
Explorer

Hello I need help. I am looking for a SPL query or app that visualizes log sources not sending logs to the SIEM within in 24 hours.   Can anyone assist?

Thank you in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Hutch
Path Finder
index="yourIndex" sourcetype="yourSourcetype" earliest=-30m latest=now | stats count

This search will check your index and sourcetype for the last 30 minutes until now, current time. When you create the alert you will just need to ensure that the number of results is set to less than 1.Trigger.jpg

View solution in original post

hammy
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Dear all, 

it seems like I am not the only one with the same issue, currently I am trying to get an alert for all our critical hosts and sourcetypes with definded alerttimes. 

I created a lookup table with the following information:
critical_host, sourcetype, alerttime

What I currently achived is to compare the lookuptable with my critical hosts.

I have two Problems which I couldn't solve yet and maybe someone of you have a hint/solution:

1. I have WinEventlogs where Source & Sourcetype is reversed, so I something like: if source=XmlWinEventLog then source=sourcetype 

2. I didn't get it running if I compared the age with alerttime (so currently it is just 6 in the search)

Here is my search:
| tstats count as countAtToday latest(_time) as lastTime where index!="*_" by sourcetype source host
| lookup critical_hosts.csv host Outputnew host as critical_host
| where isnotnull(critical_host)
| eval age=now()-lastTime
| sort age d
| fieldformat lastTime=strftime(lastTime,"%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval age=round((age/60/60),1)
| search age>=6
| eval age=age."hour"
| dedup host
| fields critical_host, lastTime, sourcetype, source

Best Regards,

Hammy

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hammy,

it isn't a good idea adding a new question to an existing and solved question, even if with the same issue, because probably you'll never have an answer; so, I hint to create a new question with your requirement.

Anyway, your questions aren't clear for me:

• what's the problem to use source or sourcetype? you can easily rename one of them using AS, e.g. the one in the lookup.
  • What do you mean with alerttime: the timestamp of the event or what else?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

blasmoreno
Explorer

Hi all I have a new update and solution.  It's called the Meta Woot!  app.  It's pretty awesome and is just what I was looking for.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @blasmoreno ,

all the solutions from the other people are correct, I give you another one:

you should create a lookup containing all the server to monitor (you should always have it to avoid to loose the control!), called e.g. perimeter.csv, containing at least one field (host) and eventually also other fields for your use, in few words, you asset inventory.

Then you have to run a simple search like this:

| metasearch index=_internal
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY host
| where total=0

This search is ok to find missing servers.

If instaed you want also to check other sources, you have to modify your search using the same approach.

my hint is to schedule this search every 5 minute to immediately have an alert when an host is missiong, because in this case you're blind!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

blasmoreno
Explorer

Thank you kindly!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @blasmoreno,

good for you, see next time!

Please accept one answer for the other people of Community

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the Contributors 😉

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is of course another approach to the "business problem" of monitoring, not the "technical problem" presented by OP.

The problem is that you have to have the list.

You could do another scheduled search which would automatically add any encountered hosts/sources to a lookup (which would effectively work like forwarder monitoring in MC)

0 Karma

Hutch
Path Finder
index="yourIndex" sourcetype="yourSourcetype" earliest=-30m latest=now | stats count

This search will check your index and sourcetype for the last 30 minutes until now, current time. When you create the alert you will just need to ensure that the number of results is set to less than 1.Trigger.jpg

Hutch
Path Finder
index="yourIndex" sourcetype="yourSourcetype" | stats count

You could also remove the earliest and the latest and set your time frame to 24 hours.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's the most straightforward but also one of the worst possible solutions for counting events. If you want to simply count the events (and possibly filter and/or group it by indexed field), never use search and stats. Use tstats. It's several orders of magnitude quicker.

0 Karma

blasmoreno
Explorer

Let me re-phrase my question.  I need to know when a log source stops sending logs to the SIEM (within an hour time phase).  I felt if I had a dashboard/visualization I could quickly glance at it and notice if anything was awry.  OR get some type of email or text alert would suffice.

- Any ideas from the Splunk Community?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That could be much easier done.

Just do a stats count (or even better - tstats) by source (but are you sure you don't want host, not source?) binning it to hour-long periods. And you're done - just find zeros.

0 Karma

blasmoreno
Explorer

Any chance you can share the SPL query with me so I can try it out?   Then create a dashboard with visualization.   I was planning to monitor the dozen most important sourcetypes.  

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

But the question as I said before is whether you want it by source or by host. Grouping by source has some caveats with many file-based sources whereas single host can produce many differend kinds of events so both methods have their limitations.

0 Karma

blasmoreno
Explorer

I would answer source as we will have numerous hosts in a group.  

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

But remember that source field for some types of sources (most obvious one is Exchange message tracking logs) can change for the same "logical source" so you're getting a new filename in source every hour or even more often.

Anyway, you can tweak it later - aggregate some entries or whatever.

The idea is relatively simple. You do

| tstats count where index=* AND (your additional conditions for sourcetypes) by source _time span=1h

Now you need a neat trick to find missing entries (hours for which there were no results).

Convert it to a table

| xyseries source _time count

And fill in the blanks

| fillnull value=0

Now all you need to do is "unpack" the table back into single time-source pairs with count

| untable source _time count

And now you can easily get only the rows...

| where count=0

One limitation of this method is that you will not get results for a source which didn't produce any results at all throughout the whole day.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk cannot find something that isn't there. You'd have to have a list of sources to compare with.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...