Monitoring Splunk

Does fschange use inotify / ReadDirectoryChangesW or similar?

southeringtonp
Motivator

Does Splunk make full use of operating system specific features when monitoring for changed files?

In particular, I'm thinking of the inotify subsystem on Linux, and ReadDirectoryChangesW() or similar when running on Windows.

If these are used, how does that impact the pollPeriod setting in inputs.conf? Can pollPeriod be omitted or set to a significantly higher value to improve performance?

I'm primarily thinking of fschange, but the question could also be applicable to monitor:// inputs.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It does not. There has been some talk I have heard from Splunk engineers that (on platforms where this is applicable) that the input processors may some day be enhanced to use OS notifications like this, but the current ones do not.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It does not. There has been some talk I have heard from Splunk engineers that (on platforms where this is applicable) that the input processors may some day be enhanced to use OS notifications like this, but the current ones do not.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...