Monitoring Splunk
Highlighted

Distributed Management Console Topology Screen: Why does it say my instances are unreachable? They really are up and being searched.

Motivator

The two indexers are functioning normally according to everything I see, so I don't understand what the DMC thinks is wrong.

Highlighted

Re: Distributed Management Console Topology Screen: Why does it say my instances are unreachable? They really are up and being searched.

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi lycollicott-

We use the status from http://localhost:8000/manager/splunk_management_console/search/distributed/peers to determine if the Indexers are reachable.
What is their status in that page?

Highlighted

Re: Distributed Management Console Topology Screen: Why does it say my instances are unreachable? They really are up and being searched.

Motivator

That screen says they are up, so it is working correctly. I still don't know why the DMC screen says they are unreachable.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

I am seeing same problem for one of our indexers. When I try to go to the status page mentioned above on the master node in indexer cluster, it take me to the default page (http://localhost:8000/en-US/manager/search) with error message "Unable to locate configuration for this URL." We are using splunk enterprise 7.0.1. Has the status page migrated to any other location. I do see a "Distributed Environment" tab in the default page, and clicking on "Indexer clustering" under it takes me to a page that lists the indexers. There, the status of this seemingly "unreachable" indexer is up and fully searchable. Any ideas what might be the issue?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator
0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

Hi, thanks for your reply. On going to above mentioned URL, I see that the state of this seemingly unreachable indexer peer is Up & Health, exactly like what is displayed for other indexers. The DMC still shows that the particular indexer is unreachable.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

I'm not sure I exactly understand the reason why, but I resolved it.
The two indexers also had the license master role, so after i removed that role then the DMC said they were reachable.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Path Finder

I experienced the exact same issue (Splunk 7.0.3 and also after upgrade to 8.0.1).
I was able to fix by reset/reconfigure the DMC.
"Settings" -> "General Setup" - > "Reset All Settings"... and then reconfigure the DMC."

0 Karma