Monitoring Splunk

Distributed Management Console Topology Screen: Why does it say my instances are unreachable? They really are up and being searched.

lycollicott
Motivator

The two indexers are functioning normally according to everything I see, so I don't understand what the DMC thinks is wrong.

1 Solution

lycollicott
Motivator

I'm not sure I exactly understand the reason why, but I resolved it.
The two indexers also had the license master role, so after i removed that role then the DMC said they were reachable.

View solution in original post

aleem
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I came across this today and found that the following actions jolted the MC to be able to reach the instances

>>Monitoring Console >> Settings >> Apply Changes

Be the best version of you
0 Karma

gunzola
Path Finder

I experienced the exact same issue (Splunk 7.0.3 and also after upgrade to 8.0.1).
I was able to fix by reset/reconfigure the DMC.
"Settings" -> "General Setup" - > "Reset All Settings"... and then reconfigure the DMC."

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

I'm not sure I exactly understand the reason why, but I resolved it.
The two indexers also had the license master role, so after i removed that role then the DMC said they were reachable.

mpapale_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi lycollicott-

We use the status from http://localhost:8000/manager/splunk_management_console/search/distributed/peers to determine if the Indexers are reachable.
What is their status in that page?

samratgavale
Explorer

I am seeing same problem for one of our indexers. When I try to go to the status page mentioned above on the master node in indexer cluster, it take me to the default page (http://localhost:8000/en-US/manager/search) with error message "Unable to locate configuration for this URL." We are using splunk enterprise 7.0.1. Has the status page migrated to any other location. I do see a "Distributed Environment" tab in the default page, and clicking on "Indexer clustering" under it takes me to a page that lists the indexers. There, the status of this seemingly "unreachable" indexer is up and fully searchable. Any ideas what might be the issue?

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator
0 Karma

samratgavale
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your reply. On going to above mentioned URL, I see that the state of this seemingly unreachable indexer peer is Up & Health, exactly like what is displayed for other indexers. The DMC still shows that the particular indexer is unreachable.

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

That screen says they are up, so it is working correctly. I still don't know why the DMC screen says they are unreachable.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...