Monitoring Splunk

Data Acceleration Frequency

petermuller
Explorer

In the documentation here, it says that the the data will update every ten minutes once an accelerated report summary is initially created and completed. When handling many searches, I can see this potentially being a problem if all searches are run at the same time.

Is it possible to edit the frequency at which the data gets updated, or even better, to randomize that frequency so that there is smoother CPU usage than large spikes every ten minutes? I am unsure if this is actually the case, but I want to make sure that if I put this in a high stress environment, there will not be potentially crippling CPU spikes when it could possibly be prevented.

If you are currently using report acceleration, have you noticed the CPU usage because of it?

1 Solution

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

According to your link, you are refering to Data Acceleration, which is slightly different then Summary Indexing. Summary indexing (as configured as a saved search) would fire "every ten minutes" as you say, without a change in the cron. Data Acceleration is done "on a schedule", but I'm not sure I know what that is. I do know, in my ES instance, that any spikes are caused by saved searches, not the data acceleration searches. They seem to be more or less "randomly every 10 minutes".

Is this question a result of behaviour you are currently seeing, or behaviour you don't want to see in the future and try to avoid now?

View solution in original post

sansay
Contributor

I have just come to the conclusion that search acceleration is indeed executed on a cron schedule. we see a strong spike of search activity every 10 minutes on the dot. And all the users are those who have created many accelerated searches.

Now I would really appreciate it if someone could tell us how we can randomize this activity. According to the doc, this is not controllable.

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

According to your link, you are refering to Data Acceleration, which is slightly different then Summary Indexing. Summary indexing (as configured as a saved search) would fire "every ten minutes" as you say, without a change in the cron. Data Acceleration is done "on a schedule", but I'm not sure I know what that is. I do know, in my ES instance, that any spikes are caused by saved searches, not the data acceleration searches. They seem to be more or less "randomly every 10 minutes".

Is this question a result of behaviour you are currently seeing, or behaviour you don't want to see in the future and try to avoid now?

petermuller
Explorer

This would be something that I want to prevent in the future to ensure a smooth integration into an existing system. I was unsure if the 10 minutes was a strict time (like a cron job) to fire off every search at once, or if there was information of other behavior behind it to distribute the load.

I realize now that I have to do a scheduled search for summary indexing to be enabled. From what you say, is the interval at which I run the search the same interval that the data will be fed into the summary index? If so, I will edit my question to address the report acceleration instead.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...