Monitoring Splunk

All DB rows get input as one event

swathis
Explorer

Hi,
I am getting below error when I add data using data inputs from MYSQL to splunk server using DB Connect.In moniter type I choose Dump.Data gets added but all the rows gets added as one event.
Here is the error at dbx.log
INFO:DumpDatabaseMonitor - Executing database monitor
ERROR:DumpDatabaseMonitor - DBMon Error while executing monitor= com.splunk.dbx.monitor.DbmonException: Cancelling subsequent run of oneshot dump monitor.
Please advise as how i can solve the issue.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

swathis
Explorer

I hadn't checked output timestamp once I checked on it...I am getting it correctly.Thanks a ton..

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

Results from DB Connect being merged into a single event can be solved by

1. Creating a custom sourcetype with specific line breaking/merging rules to create individual events for every line
  2. Enabling the database input to output timestamps (ie. just checking the box "Output timestamp")

The error message you're experiencing is actually intended behavior. And as of version 1.0.7 it's not logged anymore. The behavior for a database input of type "dump" without a specific schedule it to index results once and then cancel any subsequent execution.

swathis
Explorer

Thanks DAN by checking the output timestamp solved the issue.Can you please explain more on how to create custom source type.I usually leave Sourcetype index and host field value empty.Thanks in advance..

0 Karma

Dan
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you requested to output the timestamp?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...