Knowledge Management

UTC Time Picker - working with UTC input time

gavalle

Good morning
I am trying to design a dashboard always able to display data according to UTC time. So, among the other features, I would like to allow users to perform events retrieval according to UTC input time ranges.
In fact, we are monitoring log events (in UTC time) and we need to have a shared dashboard with consistent contents all over the world. But I cannot force users to set their timezone as UTC, there exist other dashboards for which it is useful for them to keep their local settings.

So, the problem to face is that the standard time picker works using the user timezone declared in his/her local settings.
I am able to correct most of the introduced delta times (between UTC and user's timezone) in tokens, making the time picker work "as if" it was an UTC time picker, but I still have issues (like the datetime previews you have when you insert timestamps or you select relative time intervals, like "earliest 5 hours") that I am not able to solve.

My question is: is it possible to set, a priori, the timezone to be used as the official one in a dashboard (replacing the user settings)?
Or, as an alternative, is it possible to define a new time picker form input and use it inside the dashboard, instead of the standard one?

0 Karma

splunk_user_us

Did you ever come to a solution for this? I am having the exact same problem. Regardless of the user's timezone, I want the users providing timepicker entries in Central time.

All my results in the dashboard are output in Central time and that is working fine. However, when interacting with users across timezones, they get confused when they say "search from 9:00:00 to 10:00:00" and are in Eastern and are getting 8:00:00 to 9:00:00 output.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...