Knowledge Management

Is it possible to calculate the value of a field name, or assign a field name using a value of a previously calculated field?

DonDallas71

Is it possible to calculate the value of a field name, or assign a field name using a value of a previously calculated field?

In a Splunk search I have a calculated field that is a date like 6/29/2017 and i want to create a field using stats that has that name. I want the actual field/column name to be that calculated date and not some static text.

value of Day1=6/29/2017
value of Day2=6/28/2017
value of Day1Users is a list of all users who logged in on 6/29/2017
value of Day2Users is a list of all users who logged in on 6/29/2017 and 6/28/2017
I want to do something like this

| stats DC(Day1Users) as {Day1}, DC(Day2Users) as {Day2}....
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

To assign a field name from a field value do this:

| eval {FieldNameWhoseValueShouldBeTheNewFieldName} = whatever.

So if field FieldX has value X and FieldY has a value Y and you do | eval {FieldX} = FieldY then you will have a new field named X that has a value of Y.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

To assign a field name from a field value do this:

| eval {FieldNameWhoseValueShouldBeTheNewFieldName} = whatever.

So if field FieldX has value X and FieldY has a value Y and you do | eval {FieldX} = FieldY then you will have a new field named X that has a value of Y.

0 Karma

DonDallas71

That was exactly what I was wanting to do. I had actually tried that, I had just forgotten to carry my date variables through to my stats.

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

..... earliest=-2d@d latest=-0d@d | timechart span=1d count by users | eval _time = strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d") | fields - _span _spandays | transpose

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...