Knowledge Management

Exceptions count different when compared to creating event types

girishgene07

Hi I am a new to splunk and need help with a query:

index=abc exception | rex ".?(?(?:\w+.)+\w*?Exception)."| stats count by exception
When I use the above query, I am getting a table of exceptions and its count listed, as below

com.system.enterprise.client.arcti.GeneralDomainCallException
java.land.NullPointerException
java.lang.RuntimeException
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

Here in this case I am getting a event count for java.land.NullPointerException as 3 events occured.
I am trying to create an event type for this particular exception(java.land.NullPointerException) to add it as a tag to a jira,

index=abc exception | rex ".?(?(?:\w+.)+\w?Exception).*"| search exception="java.lang.NullPointerException"
This above query cannot be saved as a event type, as its not accepting tubes "|"

When i try to search specifically for java.land.NullPointerException using the below query-
sourcetype=abc java.lang.NullPointerException*

I am getting an event count as 220 events occured

I am requesting some help to match the exact the event count numbers between my rex and event type query.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try these two searches

sourcetype=abc exception | rex "(?<exception>NullPointerException)"| stats count by exception

AND

sourcetype=abc java.lang.NullPointerException*
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...