Knowledge Management

Eventtype are broken in Splunk 8.0.0

lakromani
Builder

I have several eventtypes that are extracted in various apps. This stopped working after I upgraded to 8.0.0

Its not fully gone, f.eks this works fine.

index=main eventtype=error 

But I do not see any eventtype in the selected or interesting fields.
Also it does not show any eventtype if I do this:

index= main eventtype=error | table _time eventtype _raw

Eventtype field are empty and I can not search for eventtype after table function has been used.

First time I have seen some like this broken after an upgrade. Has been using Splunk in large scale last 8 yeares

EDIT:
Did create a new eventtype from "Settings" -> "Event Types" a test.
Does not show up in field list, but

index=main eventtype=test

do work fine.

index=main eventtype=test
| table eventtype

Does not show anything

EDIT2:
Same for all my App, so not just one app.

EDIT3:
Downgrade to 7.3.2 went fine. eventtypes works again. So I do suggest not to upgrade before this is fixed.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you post your event type definitions? That would help the community help you.

0 Karma

lakromani
Builder

Here is one example out of several 100

cat eventtypes.conf
[dns_query]
search = "dns* query from*#"

And this did work fine until upgrade. Have you testet 8.0.0?
As you see in my EDIT, I did create a new one from gui. Works in first search but not in table nor does I see it in the field list.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you opened a support case for this? If there is an actual defect in 8.0 that is causing this issue, they can file it with the engineering team.

0 Karma

arjunpkishore5
Motivator

I don't have Splunk 8.0 . But can you try doing

index=main | fieldsummary

This would give all the available fields.

I would guess there is a case mismatch since the field names are case-sensitive in the table command and they're not in the base search.

Apologies if this was already attempted and is not the solution!

0 Karma

lakromani
Builder

Thanks for the reply.

fieldsummary show eventtype with 0 as a count.

Nothing has changed, just did an upgrade and everything did work well in 7.3.2 and older.
So there are no error in name spelling.

Strange I can search for events with certain eventtypes, but not after table is used and its not showing in the fields list.

0 Karma

arjunpkishore5
Motivator

Strange indeed. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...