Knowledge Management

Error in macro "The definition of macro is expected to be an eval expression that returns a string."

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

I'm trying to filter my data with the current day of week value using a macro. DAY_OF_WK is a field in my sourcetype

I get this error when trying below query with macro

Error in macro "The definition of macro is expected to be an eval expression that returns a string."

Query

index=my_index sourcetype=mysourcetype DAY_OF_WK=dayofwk(1)

Macro

if($dummy$==1, strftime(now(),"%w"), strftime(now(),"%w"))

Any idea on what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Pradeep

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

aweitzman
Motivator

I tried this stanza and it worked fine:

[dayofwk(1)]
args = dummy
definition = if($dummy$==1, strftime(now(),"%w"), strftime(now(),"%w"))

My search

| gentimes start=-1 | eval zzz=`dayofwk(1)` | fields zzz

got me the expected value.

Did you put iseval = true at the end of your stanza? If so, it's unnecessary.

View solution in original post

aweitzman
Motivator

I tried this stanza and it worked fine:

[dayofwk(1)]
args = dummy
definition = if($dummy$==1, strftime(now(),"%w"), strftime(now(),"%w"))

My search

| gentimes start=-1 | eval zzz=`dayofwk(1)` | fields zzz

got me the expected value.

Did you put iseval = true at the end of your stanza? If so, it's unnecessary.

aweitzman
Motivator

I figured out your real problem. now() is not capable of being processed in a macro. See here:

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/4907/can-you-use-now-in-eval-based-macros.html

I tried making an eval-based macro using time() instead of now() as described in the above link, adding iseval=true, and using it as you wanted to use it above, and it worked fine. Give that a shot.

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Awesome.. worked like a champ. Thank you so much 🙂

0 Karma

aweitzman
Motivator

Does my original query work if you uncheck the "Use eval-based definition" checkbox? If so, do that and structure your earlier query like this:

index=my_index sourcetype=mysourcetype | where DAY_OF_WK=`dayofwk(1)`

Yes, this is more inefficient. However, I have not figured out any way to get the macro to work with iseval = true (which is the equivalent of your checkbox).

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Ahh, I removed iseval=true and it worked. But I'm unable to use it before the first pipe. If I have to use it after the pipe, I don't need a macro in first place.

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you were to use iseval = 1. you must specify definition of the macro within double quotes "". Because Splunk is expecting string in the definition

example definition 

"round('$field$',$decimal$)"
————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

even the eval after pipe | is not working for me | eval DAY=dayofwk(1). I get the same error. Even tried the same query which you mentioned above and it doesn't work

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

I'm configuring it through WEB, and yes "Use eval-based definition?" is checked. Is it because I want to substitute this even before first pipe "|" and you are doing it in eval in your search query? does that matter? I want to filter this before first pipe |

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...