Knowledge Management

Copy reports from one standalone machine to another the easy way. No fancy code. No virtualization. No Servers. Just a standalone machine and JUST some reports and dashboards.

kennethhartley1
Engager

I have scoured the internet in search of a simple way to copy reports and dashboards from one STANDALONE machine to another and I cannot find a simple answer. I have no network access on these machines and no virtualization. I copy the entire splunk folder and it carries with it the event logs and such. So, I get ghost logins from users that don't even have an account, and software install event codes about software that is not even on this machine. I just don't want to have to copy/paste every report I created from a text file on every other (7 of em) machine.
Please help. And thank you much!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi Kennethhartley1,

The approach you took is not the best option, and as you already noticed will break a lot of things for various reasons.

The easiest way to achieve this, is to create an app and make sure all your dashboards, reports are shared in this app. Next use this Splunk app https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2613/ to export the whole app from the Splunk instance - it is all done in the Splunk UI.
After that you can install the exported app wherever you need.

Hope this makes sense, and helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

kennethhartley1
Engager

I got it. Just played around a bit and it worked great. Thank you!

0 Karma

kennethhartley1
Engager

Thank you very much for the response. This makes sense and I will try it out, for sure. One question tho, how do you share existing reports and dashboards with the app I create?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...