Knowledge Management

Collect Command

ManishaAgrawal
Explorer

Is it possible to use collect command to collect data from one index and move it to another, where destiation index is not a summary index ?

index=whatever host=whatever source=whatever whatever | collect index=foo

Where foo is pre-configured index in indexes.conf.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sure. I don't think collect really cares where it gets dumped, just be aware that there will probably be some summary data within the dumped information.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ManishaAgrawal
Explorer

Thanks Alacercogitatus

Could you please highlight what summary data would be indexed.

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sure. I don't think collect really cares where it gets dumped, just be aware that there will probably be some summary data within the dumped information.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

some extra fields will be added to the orinal index. you are going to loose event structure, host will change to local splunk instance name. you can see by using a single event collect. Rather than using collect you could copy the buckets.

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/118518/is-it-possible-to-divide-an-index-to-two-indexes?page=1&foc...

0 Karma

ManishaAgrawal
Explorer

Thanks Alacercogitatus

Could you please highlight what summary data would be indexed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...