Knowledge Management

Can I use kvstore as a web application backend?

jedatt01
Builder

Would it makes sense to use a kvstore collection as a backend for a multi-user web applicaiton? It seems like you could easily implement a front end framework such as Angularjs and use the REST API or Splunkjs to manage your kvstore collection. How would this be different than using full blown Mongodb backend?

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why use the KV store as a backend rather than native Splunk?

0 Karma

jedatt01
Builder

I need to perform CRUD operations from user form input

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you give us an example of what your trying to do? I think you may be climbing the wrong ladder here

0 Karma

jedatt01
Builder

For example, if i'm creating an excel like application front end that allows multiple users to add/edit/delete rows of data from a table. That table could be a kvstore and I would send the update operations to the kvstore collection via rest call or splunk search manager.

So, i'm trying to determine if I am climbing the wrong ladder and should use something different for a back-end such as postgres or mongodb.

0 Karma

davpx
Communicator

Hey jedatt01, I'm good friends with @skoelpin and couldn't help but snoop.

@skoelpin, Splunk's immutable way of indexing kind of breaks this use case by knocking the D off CRUD. There are ways of hiding data in an index but I think jedatt01 is on the right track with his idea to use the KV store. I've seen it done for case management systems within Splunk using the KV store.

@jedatt01, if you're looking for a short answer to is it possible, then yes. How is it different? in my experience when I think of Splunk's KV store, the word "fragile" comes to mind. Be sure to back it up often.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...