Knowledge Management

Calculated field return invalid operator error

vinayr9

I've a field called "NUMBER" which has values as shown below:

NUMBER

I need it to be converted as below:

NUM

To do so I can use following splunk query:

| eval NUM=ltrim(tostring(NUMBER),"0") | eval NUM=(NUM/100) | eval NUM=round(NUM,2) |

However I want it be a "calculated field" so that I can run queries direclty using a "NUM" field. But "Calculated Field" is throwing an error "Invalid Operator". Can someone please suggest how can I use it?

0 Karma

vnravikumar
Champion

Hi

Give a try like this in props.conf

[source::test.csv]
EVAL-NUM = round(tonumber(NUMBER)/100,2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you putting all three EVAL statements in single calculated fields entry??

Also, try this for expression while saving the calculated field

replace(NUMBER,"^(0*)(\d*)(\d{2})","\2.\3")
0 Karma

vinayr9

Yes I was trying to add three eval statements in a single calculated fields entry. Guess that's not allowed. If I put them in three different calculated fields then it takes too long for the search query.

The expression you provided helps but appears searching on calculated fields takes more time than normal. Is there a better way of doing it?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Handle it inline in search, may be create a macro for it and call the macro in your search.

0 Karma

vinayr9

OK thanks. I'll try.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...