Installation

splunk forwarder is not connecting to the splunk manager.

Mr_Sneed
Explorer

My forwarder refuses to connect to the manager over 8089. 

firewall is allowing traffic

set deploy-poll is working and yet I cannot see the connection even be attempted via netstat on the splunk universal forwarder (nix)

UF ---> HF

here is my deploymentclient.conf

[deployment-client]

[target-broker:deploymentServer] #this was part of default after command was run

deploymentServer=x.x.x.x:8089

targetUri = 10.1.10.69:8089  #this was part of default after command was run

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are there any messages in the forwarder's splunkd.log that might explain what is happening?  Look for "DC:" in the log.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mr_Sneed ,

as you can read at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.2.0/Admin/Deploymentclientconf , you have to insert in your deploymentclient.conf:

[target-broker:deploymentServer]
targetUri = 10.1.10.69:8089

that's the output of the "splunk set deploy-poll" command, not other.

Then you should check (using telnet if the route on port 8089 between the client and the Deployment Server is open.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are there any messages in the forwarder's splunkd.log that might explain what is happening?  Look for "DC:" in the log.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Mr_Sneed
Explorer

in splunk.log I had an interesting log that mentioned something about the hostname and not being able to resolve it. I changed the hostname and everything works. Thanks for the help

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mr_Sneed ,

good for you, see next time!

let us know if we can help you more, or, please, accept one answer (eventually the your one) for the other people of Community.

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...