Installation

mass update of the users timezone

damucka
Builder

Hello,

I have following issue:
- I am located with most of my users in CET zone. For 2 years until last week all looked fine in respect to the timezone of the users. I know this option is not there, but the system, although itself having the UTC, behaved as if it would recognize the users location and presenting the CET in the searches.
- Like week back, i have no clue why, the system decided to present the GMT timezone to the users in searches. Well, when I go to the user properties it will be the "Default System Timezone" there, so one could say it behaves as expected.

My questions would be:
- is there any possibility that Splunk detects the time zone of the user based e.g. on the browser settings?
- If not, how would I mass change it for my users to CET? Clicking through the user settings one by one is not much fun
- Theoretically I could make a change for all users:

etc/system/local/user-prefs.conf
[default]
 # Only canonical timezone names such as America/Los_Angeles are allowed
  tz = America/Los_Angeles  

The question is what the correct canonical timezone name for CET would be?
tz = Europe/Berlin ?

Kind Regards,
Kamil

Tags (1)
0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi,

You can try to configure $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/user-prefs/local/user-prefs.conf with below configuration (I have not tested this but it should work)

[general]
tz = <timezone>
* Specifies the per-user timezone to use
* If unset, the timezone of the Splunk Server or Search Head is used.
* Only canonical timezone names such as America/Los_Angeles should be
  used (for best results use the Splunk UI).
* Defaults to unset.

OR

[general_default]
tz = <timezone>

As CET timezone is for Europe, you can check list of all available timezone in Europe on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones and accordingly set tz in user-prefs.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...