Installation

mass update of the users timezone

damucka
Builder

Hello,

I have following issue:
- I am located with most of my users in CET zone. For 2 years until last week all looked fine in respect to the timezone of the users. I know this option is not there, but the system, although itself having the UTC, behaved as if it would recognize the users location and presenting the CET in the searches.
- Like week back, i have no clue why, the system decided to present the GMT timezone to the users in searches. Well, when I go to the user properties it will be the "Default System Timezone" there, so one could say it behaves as expected.

My questions would be:
- is there any possibility that Splunk detects the time zone of the user based e.g. on the browser settings?
- If not, how would I mass change it for my users to CET? Clicking through the user settings one by one is not much fun
- Theoretically I could make a change for all users:

etc/system/local/user-prefs.conf
[default]
 # Only canonical timezone names such as America/Los_Angeles are allowed
  tz = America/Los_Angeles  

The question is what the correct canonical timezone name for CET would be?
tz = Europe/Berlin ?

Kind Regards,
Kamil

Tags (1)
0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi,

You can try to configure $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/user-prefs/local/user-prefs.conf with below configuration (I have not tested this but it should work)

[general]
tz = <timezone>
* Specifies the per-user timezone to use
* If unset, the timezone of the Splunk Server or Search Head is used.
* Only canonical timezone names such as America/Los_Angeles should be
  used (for best results use the Splunk UI).
* Defaults to unset.

OR

[general_default]
tz = <timezone>

As CET timezone is for Europe, you can check list of all available timezone in Europe on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones and accordingly set tz in user-prefs.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...