Installation

internal server error 500 because of index _actions, during upgrade 3.* to 4.*

mataharry
Communicator

Hi, I am a bit impressed, this is my first post.

I wanted to upgrade from a splunk 3.4 to 4.1.5 but once done, the browser do an error 500. and say : InternalServerError HTTP500 In handler 'indexes' Parameters beginning with '_' are reserved for EAI's Usage will not allow '_actions'

What is that ? I never created an index starting with underscore.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Mata

It seems that you encountered the deprecated "_actions" index from the old index_server app.

A quick way to fix it is to comment the line starting with : _actions in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/index_server/default/indexes.conf

If you can't find the line in this specific configuration file, you can use the following command to find it : find $SPLUNK_HOME/etc -name indexes.conf | xargs grep ^_action

then restart splunk.

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Mata

It seems that you encountered the deprecated "_actions" index from the old index_server app.

A quick way to fix it is to comment the line starting with : _actions in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/index_server/default/indexes.conf

If you can't find the line in this specific configuration file, you can use the following command to find it : find $SPLUNK_HOME/etc -name indexes.conf | xargs grep ^_action

then restart splunk.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...