Installation

installation start up

taelee94

Hi,

I'm new to splunk and Linux. I installed it to a CentOS 5.4 server and tried to get to http://splunk server:8000 but it would't come up unless iptable is stopped.

So I added an entry into iptables as below:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8000 -j ACCEPT

And after that I restarted iptables services but it still won't work.

Any suggestions or idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you restarted iptables, you probably blew away the rule you added. Running the iptables command at the shell prompt only updates the in-memory filter table. You should add your rule in the proper place in /etc/sysconfig/iptables and then restart the iptables services. After the restart, verify your rule is there using iptables -nL.

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Also, please click the checkbox to the left of my answer to accept it as "correct" - Thanks!

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've never used lokkit - but it sounds like it may not read the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file itself and/or it flushes the ruleset. You might use 'system-config-firewall' instead. (Me personally, I always just edit the file in /etc/sysconfig)

0 Karma

taelee94

Thanks and it worked!! However, I noticed something very strange. Whenever I start lokkit, any rules I added to /etc/sysconfig/iptables get deleted. I don't understand why...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...