Installation

Windows installation ends prematurely and then won't install?

dcalvin

This is a straight forward install, nothing fancy, just trying to evaluate and i can't get it to install on 64 bit windows 7.
?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

Usama_Bashir
Observer

STEP: 1

From the search bar open service app and then find out window installer and start/restart it.  

STEP: 2

Run cmd as an administrator and excute these commands one by one.

• msiexec /unreg
  • msiexec /regserver
  • regsvr32 vbscript.dll

And then restart your system.

I hope this on will help you...

0 Karma

sdinh
Engager

This had been troubling me for a while, there was no right click 'Run as administrator' option for me.

I resolved this by running CMD as Administrator, then launching the installer from within CMD!

Worked a treat! Hope this helps.

vinaykumar4s

Thank You. It helped me.

0 Karma

pypsichok

Ran CMD as Administrator and launched isntall from within CMD...still rolled back in Windows 7 64-bit.

splunk-6.4.3-b03109c2bad4-x64-release.msi

Tried 6.4.4, 6.4.2...etc etc etc..

0 Karma

dgrubb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can't hurt to try the Microsoft tool System File Checker:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

0 Karma

johansec

I have the same problem. I get no description of what the problem acuatlly is. I guess that is that. 😞

0 Karma

harry_suo

what is this problem?

0 Karma

nelsonmc

I have the same problem running the X64 , 8GB memory Windows 7 English . The installation interface does not open any install bar . Just after the beginning give the error message that was interrupted prematurely

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @dcalvin

Would you be able to provide more details? What exact version of Splunk were you trying to install? Did you get a message that said "Splunk Enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely..."?

0 Karma

harry_suo

The version that I installed is Splunk Light yet, and Every time I tried it, just not be working very well, so give me some details if U have some time. Thx.

0 Karma

dcalvin

Yes, I was trying to install the Enterprise Trial ver.

splunk-6.2.2-255606-x64-release.msi

I have it on the desktop, so installing locally.

Splunk>Enterprise windows comes up and it starts to run. Validating... copying...

Then rolls back the action...

Then ends prematurely because of an error and system has not been modified.
Click finish to end... blah blah...

I am domain admin and admin of this pc. I tried to redown the app, so pretty sure its a valid complete file.

Really want to evaluate this app. Thanks for any help.
Dawn

0 Karma

dcalvin

Any ideas?

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just to confirm two more points: is this Windows running in English? Do you have an administrators group with a localized name? There have been Answers postings that point in that direction, although I suspect it doesn't apply in your case.

Can you supply the MSIxxxxxx.log file? This is normally found in %temp%. There should also be a splunk.log file (sometimes Windows puts it in the directory right above %temp%).

0 Karma

dcalvin

Thanks Chris. I just spun up a vm with with server 2012 and its running fine on there.
Case closed.
Thanks agian!

0 Karma

gyslainlatsa
Motivator

hi dcalvin,
try to install other version and check if you have the same problem because i have install
splunk-6.2.0-255606-x86-release.msi and have the same problem that you, but when i have change the version and install the version splunk-6.2.2-255606-x86-release.msi. i don't have the problem again.

try change the version of splunk.
please forgive my english

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...