Installation

Why am I receiving zsh: exec format error while installing Splunk with Kali Linux VM?

kevissadev
Loves-to-Learn

I keep getting this error when trying to start splunk, can anyone assist me? I am trying to install splunk within Kali Linux VM

zsh: exec format error: ./splunkzsh: exec format error: ./splunk

Labels (2)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk server is supported only in intel/amd platforms in linux. If you have e.g. ARM then there haven't any working version for it (only Apple M1 rosetta2 can used on macOS). ARM version can found only for UF not for server.

0 Karma

kevissadev
Loves-to-Learn

So does this mean I cannot install Splunk through the Kali Linux VM since I am using A1 chip with macbook?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Unfortunately that's is the current situation. Those virtualisation softwares cannot use macOS's Rosetta2 layer. There is idea to port splunk also to AARM, but I thing that there is not enough votes for it yet?

https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I-515 seems to be a future prospect, so we are willing more votes for it to bring it up on pile 😉

r. Ismo

0 Karma

Stefanie
Builder

@kevissadev ,

Which version of the Splunk software did you install? For Linux there's a few different versions you can download. If you used the 64-bit tgz maybe try the deb version? 

Within the Linux world that error pops up when the executable was compiled to work on a different distro. 

kevissadev
Loves-to-Learn

I Installed the Linux_64.tgz version to my Kali Linux VM. I have a Macbook Pro A1 if that helps. Any suggestions?

0 Karma

Stefanie
Builder

There isn't a supported way to install Splunk Enterprise on unsupported hardware.

Even if you were able to get Splunk to start, it's not compatible and would likely have many unexpected problems. 

Maybe a better solution would be to try running Splunk in a Docker container? 
I've never tried it so its just a suggestion. https://github.com/Splunk/docker-Splunk 

0 Karma

kevissadev
Loves-to-Learn

Can you let me know what exactly isn’t compatible? Is it the Macbook with A1 processor or Kali Linux VM I am using? Only asking because if I need to get another laptop I can do that do.

0 Karma

kevissadev
Loves-to-Learn

M1 chip*

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...